[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re; A "Revolutionary" Idea.

  Date:
        Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:19:09 -0500
  From:
        "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> Subject:
>         Re; A "Revolutionary" Idea.
>   Date:
>         Wed, 26 Mar 1997 15:39:10 GMT
>   From:
>         Joe Cummings <joecmn-at-globalnet.co.uk>
>     To:
>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Thanks to the people who've responded to my E-mail.
>
> I hadn't anticipated that the dwell time was so important. What we're
> trying
> to do with a spark is to let loose chaos and quickly capture it again.
> No doubt due to my denseness, I can't visualise the idea of a "series
> spark
> gap".
> The idea of a rotating hole which allows firing seems interesting.
>
> If you will indulge me for another few lines, I have a further
> suggestion, which
> no doubt has been tried.
>
> Let's visualise my suggestion as follows: assume the rotor to be a gear
> wheel, rotating inside an internal gear wheel - that is, with the teeth
> pointing towards the centre.
> The teeth of the rotor are separated from the teeth of the stator by the
> distance of the spark gap. At any one time there will only one firing,
> because of the design.
>
> Now you can feed one terminal of the circuit to the rotor and the other
> terminal to the stator, with problems of transmission of high voltages
> to a
> rotating shaft.
> However, let's make the stator out of nylon, and towards one end of each
> of
> the teeth
>  of the stator you drill through and introduce an electrode from one
> side of
> the circuit, and do the same at the other end of the teeth for the other
> side of the circuit. You then have an array of electrodes at either end
> of
> the stator. The job of the rotor is to present a conductor to allow the
> spark to jump.
>
> Note that we still have the problem of dwell time.
>
> Here's my "new" suggestion. Instead of an ordinary gear wheel, why not
> have
> a helical one? If both stator and rotor were helical, we would have
> imparted
> an aerodynamic property to the spark gap, which might help in removing
> ionised air.
>
> In fact if we kept the spark gaps at the original position, we could
> extend
> the gear wheels into cylinders for perhaps greater draught. The depth of
> the
> grooves on the stator may need to be less than those on the rotary to
> avoid
> turbulency.
>
> Well, friends, that's about it. I'm sure someone has tried it.  How did
> it go?
>
> Joe Cummings

Joe,

I have played, and I do mean play, with epsicloidal rotors in the
past, and I also learned how to pronounce this uncommon word.  The
application was inside a 6-71 roots type mechanical supercharger which I
put on top of my 350 S.B. Chevy engine in my Chevelle.  That was
*much* fun! : )

One thing I do know, they can move a lot of air, but also require a
fair pit of horsepressure to spin because of the windage losses.

Are you suggesting something inside an insulating pipe that looks
like an ice auger which has flying contacts attached around the
outside perimeter? These occasionally line up with external fixed
electrodes protruding into the sidewall of the pipe. The 'auger' is the
directly
driven rotor attached to your electric motor.

This could be the solution to the aerodynamics discussion recently
posted by Richard Hull.

rwstephens