[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Toasted Xformer

Subject:
        Toasted Xformer
  Date:
        Sun, 30 Mar 1997 23:25:07 +1000
  From:
        "Taylor, Chris CC" <Taylor.Chris.CC-at-bhp-dot-com.au>
    To:
        "'Tesla List'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I was happily playing with my coil last night, it had been on for only a
few seconds when everything stopped - the silence was deafening. I
suspected one of my bottle caps may have shorted but a voltmeter over
the contacts showed an open curcuit. The Xformer was the next culprit.

It was still humming when the power was applied, but no arching between
terminals when I placed a wire between them. I suspect the Xformer may
have died on me. What puzzles me is that everthing else I read on the
list about this occurance quoted smoke and other indications of a
catasrophic transformer failure. Mine just up and stopped. Is this
normal ? Are there any other tests I can perform, (the secondary
terminals are also an open curcuit which would indicate some kind of
secondary winding failure. I am using "Claude Neon" Xformers, (12kV, 30
mA, $60 ea. is this a decent price ?)

Is it possible that both of the secondaries have failed at the same time
as I have an open curcuite between both terminals and the chassis
ground, or is this because the other ends of the secondary terminals are
not connected to the chassis ground, (floating ?).

Also, at $60 each,, would it be worth while spending time, money and
getting dirty trying to unpot this baby and attempt a repair, or just
deep six it ?

P.S. I have a safety gap set at 1/2" didn't fire much probably set too
far apart - Expensive way to learn.

Any comments / help would be great.

Chris Taylor.