[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Tesla Ground Strap - aluminum??

  Date:
        Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:06:08 -0500
  From:
        "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 07:39 PM 3/28/97 -0600, you wrote:
>        RE: Tesla Ground Strap - aluminum??
>  Date:
>        Fri, 28 Mar 97 14:19:48 UT
>  From:
>        "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
>    To:
>        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>I don't understand how the increased resistance of aluminum over copper
>could
>be frequency dependent.  It makes sense that with high peak currents,
>the
>increased resistance could cause increased voltage drop, but that can be
>compensated for by using a larger ocnductor.  I know that airplanes,
>which are
>made of aluminum, carry some pretty large currents through the skin
>during a
>lightning strike, and they are also the source of the ground for the
>onboard
>radars and radios operating both above and below the frequencies
>suggested
>here for tesla coils - can you elaborate on this frequency dependency of
>aluminum???

I am not sure about the fequency question but i understand that aluminum
oxide has insulating propertys where copper oxide does not. In antenna
work
we often use a copper paste to dress the joints in aluminum tubing. This
reduces corosion and aids conductivity.

I can imagin that the oxide combined with the natural skin effect can
impatc
rf resistance. But i doubt it is of great signifigance at tesla
frequencys.
As an in ground conductor or ground rod it would indeed be practicaly
useless.

george.......