[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Motor driven variac & secondary wire

        Re: Motor driven variac & secondary wire
  Date:
        Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:55:13 -0500
  From:
        Chris Francis <cfrancis-at-infinet-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>>Ill just use a dial manual type. This is a large heavy unit,may be 15
>>amp and
>>they want 170.00 for it.   Stephen Sanders
>
>Stephen, $170 for a 15 amp variac is too much to spend.  I once bought
>several 15 amp motor driven variacs for about $15 each.  I even gave one
>their junk piles.  I bet you can find a 15 amp variac much cheaper, or
>better yet, a much larger variac for a reasonable price.  For $170, I'd
>be
>looking for a 220 volt 50 amp monster.

Exactly where would I find a variac for $15? I wouldn't mind having a
220x50 for $170 either.

BTW, I asked the local motor shop for some double formvar wire. They
told
me it isn't made anymore but they have nylon coated wire. Will the nylon
hold up as well as the formvar? (Assuming that it and the coil form are
coated with a sealer also) The stuff is $7.00/lb in 1 or 10 pound
spools.
(they even have 100 lb spppls!) Is this a good price?

Chris