[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 simple questions - SCR devices - continued]

-- BEGIN included message

<< Another comment someone made was that driving a tank circuit through an
SCR
> would back bias the electrolytics used for current source - the SCR will,
of
 >course, turn off as soon as the current goes through 0, so this will not
> happen.

> I don't have any SCR reference material handy, but I seem to recall that
even
> farily small SCRs can handle several thousand amps (peak), and that the
large
> ones peak over 10,000 amps - If my memory is correct, they should be ideal
> simulate a spark gap.

Lou Balint of PA has used SCR's to simulate a spark gap by controlling them
with a pulse generator.  He used about 600 volts, and obtained 7" sparks or
more.  The units were rated for about 200 amps I think.  He was unable to
make them "turn off" until the primary tank energy had rung down.  Eventually
they burned up.

Happy SCR coiling  :)

John Freau

-- END included message