[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Musein' and mathin']

-- BEGIN included message

Richard:
	3 megawatts is still a lot of power!  I suspect some of
your musings are a bit pessimistic.  Biggest unknown is the real
secondary impedance under breakdown conditions, and therefor the
therefore the actual coupling conditions.  However, as far as
where the power goes, consider the heating.  Obviously a lot of
heat goes into the spark gap, but the rest has to go into the
tuned circuits.  You can guess how much is dissipated in the
primary by observing the temperature of the components (primarily
the inductor if you have a good capacitor, not the doorknobs I
use here).  I think you will conclude that the heating is not
commensurate with 300 watts or so dissipated, and you could check
that by feeding current through the primary until you get
the same temperature.
	Anyhow, what's the difference?  3 megawatts is still a lot of power!
And, it's all for fun.
Ed

-- END included message