[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnet Design (Why ?]

-- BEGIN included message

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 04:31:14 -0700
From: "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-concentric-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Magnet Design (Why ?]

At 05:21 PM 3/8/97 -0600, you wrote:
>T>I want to build a 20,000+ gauss U shaped magnet for use on a small
>T>cyclotron.  I am trying to determine what grade of steel I should use
>T>that could be purchased from a commerical steel supplier.  I am going to
>
>        Don't!!
>
>        Do not use steel under any circumstances.  This calls for
>        soft iron!   The softest soft iron money can buy.  Then
>        best to anneal it yourself any way.
>
>                                 - - - - - -
>
>        Your problem is not going to be the iron.  It's going to
>        be the copper.  For the windings.
>
>        Eons ago plans for building very powerful magnets were
>        published in the "Amateur Scientist" column in "Scientific
>        American".   These were reprised in the 3-volume "Amateur
>        Scientist" books.   They described a primary comprised of
>        short, curved copper sheets (like a segment from a donut) that
>        were interleaved over one another to form a continuous con-
>        ductor around the iron core.
>
>                                - - - - - -

A cyclotron doesn't need such powerfull magnets as that !

Jump over to http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/fmniell/
for a fellow who's built a both a cyclotron and linear accellerator.
I beleve he uses air core magnets !

A trip to http://www.thesphere-dot-com/SAS/SciAm/sciamidx.html will give
to a search engine to all Scientific American "The Amateur
Scientist" articles.

If you look for 'cyclotron' you'll find an article in Sept. 1953
about some high school students who built one. If memory serves,
I think they used soft iron and 50 to 100 pounds of copper wire...

This would more properly belong in the high voltage list - you might
try subscribing to it and asking questions there ;'}

hvlist-at-Anchorage.ab.umd.edu

Daryl

-- END included message