[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid state TC working! But..

-- BEGIN included message

Jeff

Great - glad to hear you got your
solid state TC working. The toriod will make quite a
difference to the spark lenght.

>Also, the spark output at the resonant freq. was the kind of crackling,
>pulsed type spark you might expect from a capacitive-discharge TC, but not
>the continuous, rather smooth spark I am used to getting from a flyback
>transformer.

I'm not sure about your flyback problems. My guess is that its like connecting
a 500 watt amplifier to a 5W loud speaker - slightly over powering!
You may be saturating the flyback transformer, or causing it to break down
internally. Very high current surges may feedback to the PWM chip. Try
doubling the number of primary turns.

Why not build a dedicated driver for the flyback - Harri Suomalainen has a
neat circuit posted on the ftp site.

Have fun,

Alan Sharp (UK)

-- END included message