[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

true wattageRE: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 97 05:53:14 UT
From: William Noble <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: true wattageRE: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

if you want to measure true wattage, the best way is to heat something and
measure the heat - it seems to me that a KW lamp in series with the low
voltage side of the 60 HZ transformer would be a good and inexpensive device -
then measure the brightness of the lamp - that will have a (nonlinear but well
known) relationship to power, and can be part of your ballast anyway.  If
there is too much drop, use a lower voltage bulb - a car headlamp bulb with
both fillaments in series is a 30 amp device - and an incadescent bulb is
approx constant current within it's normal operating voltage range (because as
you apply more volts, the filament resistance goes up due to increasing heat.