[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: identify 'polytheralize'

Subject:  Re: identify 'polytheralize'
  Date:   Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:32:50 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:43:00 GMT Robert Michaels
<robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org> wrote;

> T>Good stuff is an understatement! Is there any easy way to identify
> T>this 'polytheralize' without it being labeled? Almost all the
> T>surplus dealers I go to have no idea what insulation is on their wire
>
>  [ ... ]
>
>         You can use  a technique which I pioneered and refer to
>         (in full professional modesty, of course) as Michael's
>         Test.  It amounts to pyrolytic olefactory analysis.  In
>         other words you burn it, and then sniff it.
>
>         You must obtain some genuine Polythermaleze resin, or else
>         a wire specimen coated with same.
>
>         Heat the resin (or wire) in a suitably scientific fashion
>         (a match, or butane lighter) until it combusts or smokes.
>         If it ignites, blow out the flame.
>
>         Now - the most important part.  Smell the smoke.  Memorize
>         that aroma!

Ah, like my dad always said, the nose knows! Being slovic we tend to
be a bit over endowed in that department! My dad always warned me not
to look up in a rain for fear of that funnel capturing enough water
to drown!<Grin>

>         Next, repeat the test on your unknown.   If they smell the
>         same, they are the same.  (Michael's Rule of Polymer
>         Pyrolysis)

I got the idea Robert, now to find a sample!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/