[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Doorknob Caps

Subject:  Re: Doorknob Caps
  Date:   Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:32:48 +0500
  From:  "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 19:48:00 +0000 John H. Couture
<couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net> wrote;

>   Alfred -
>
>   I received your answer before I got my posted question on the List?

I do that sometimes!<Grin>

>   Dielectric dissipation is resistive loss (heat)
>   RF absorption causes resistive loss
>   Melt down requires heat (resistive loss)
>   Resistive losses in capacitors are always significant in Tesla coils
>   Reactance losses - what do you mean?
>   All losses in reactors are resistive
>   Hysteresis losses are resistive losses

First again (and I hope for the last time) I understand how you can
say that all losses are ultimately resistive, BUT is is iportant to
use the proper terminology for each of the modes of loss to be able
to discuss them individualy and to have any hope of eliminating or
atleast reducing them.

>   Note that dissipation loss and dissipation factor are two
>   different parameters.
>
>   The dissipation (resistive loss) in a capacitor is DIRECTLY
>   proportional to the power factor. The dissipation FACTOR is
>   inversly proportional to the power factor.
>
>       Watt loss = VA cos (a)           cos (a) = power factor
>
>       Watt loss = resistive loss R     PF = W/VA = R/VA
>

>   If the power factor (decimal 0 to 1) increases the wattage
>   (resistive losses) increase. If the angle (a) (0 to 90)
>   increases the cosine and the resistive losses will decrease.
>
>   Your comments are welcomed.

I'm glad you acknowledged that power facter is related to energy
losses in a capacitor, I havn't seen the equations since back in
college, nice to have it refreshed in ones mind.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/