[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power versus Spark Length

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, July 20, 1997 2:49 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Power versus Spark Length

Tesla List wrote:

> From:   John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
>
> >From:  Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
> >
> >> From:   John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
> >>
> >> 2. Increasing/decreasing the secondary coil inductance would
> >> increase/decrease the spark length.
> >
> >Why?
>
> Because of  Vs = Ls di/dt

If you believe that di/dt remains constant while changing Ls, then
why not make Ls as large as possible?

Regarding Vs,  I believe that if one applies Occam's Razor to the
problem, a simple equation ultimately determines the output voltage:

Energy in Csec = (energy in Cpri) X (coil efficiency)

The _only_ assumption that this equation relies upon is that energy
is always conserved.  Given that E = 1/2 CV^2, the output voltage
immediately follows from this equation.

Comments?

-GL