[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroids

<<
 I've learned: Never say never......
 I am still trying to find "Metal to Metal" bondo type stuff to check
 out it's conductivity. I'll get some Monday and report back. If it
 works I can use it to smooth the edges of my first toroid (4 sheet
 metal air-vent elbows).
 Right now I'm building a Poolian toroid (Bert Pool style).
 I went to the hardware store and bought 10 feet of plastic coragated
 sewer pipe for only $2. It is very cheap! I cut about a 4 and half
 foot section. I had to sew the end together with waxed string because
 duct tape (the handy mans secret weopon) isn't strong enough by
 itself (it wants to flaten out). I then duct taped the whole thing
 to cover the corragations and then finally rolled it with aluminum
 tape. It made a nice looking toroid. I cut a piece of styrofoam to go
 in the middle so I could mount it on my coil. I have yet to crank it
 up but I'm sure it will do fine. There are no sharp edges at all.
 I don't know if this is a common way to build them or not, I haven't
 been on the list that long. I just thought it might give someone else
 some ideas. Good luck!

Jgore,

I built my largest toroids (33" and 40") in the same manner.  I used 5" dia
black corrugated drain pipe.  Pulled it into a circle and cut the edges to
fit, drilled matching holes in each end and then pulled the ends together
with waxed lacing cord.  The drain pipe is so stiff that tape wouldn't begin
to hold it together.  Then I cut a 1/4" thick acrylic disc with a 1/4" hole
in the center to just fit into the center of the toroid.  Covered the whole
thing with plastic shipping tape and then aluminum foil tape.  Looks good and
works great.  Inexpensive but takes a few hours to build.

Ed Sonderman