[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

>Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 19:05:21 -0600
>From: Kevin <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

[snip]

>Jim, the coil works like I have it, just not doing anything big, I have not
>fried my neon,
YET! You will:( I have; many others have also.
> only blew the caps because I opened the gaps to far. If I set
>the system up like you said to, and I did, it don't work and the gaps won't
>fire. The neon sits there and goes hummmmmmmmmmmmm.

Kevin,
	It sounds like your SW caps are resonating with the leakage
inductance of your neon (this produces a higher voltage) and without
the higher voltage the gaps will not conduct.

You have 6 3.5" ice tea bottles (memory here). Maybe Bert can
calculate your capacitance (hint, hint;)

While Bert's working, try the parallel gap/series cap with a smaller
gap setting.  The only thing you have to lose by not trying this are
your neons.

	jim