[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: chokes

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net Sun Dec 22 20:22:51 1996
> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 11:08:47 -0600 (CST)
> From: Bert Pool <nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: chokes
>
> At 10:25 PM 12/21/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >Subscriber: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com Sat Dec 21 21:35:25 1996
> >Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 11:39:36 -0500
> >From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: chokes
> >
> >Richard,
> >I just tried the tests you suggested, neon trans drew 240 watts with no load
> >(120 volts input).  It drew 300 watts with both terminals arcing to ground
> >(also 120 volts input).  The arcs are more intense at 80 volts input than at
> >120 volts input, but current stays the same. I've never seen that effect
> >before.  Don't know if it's an AL pri.  The unit is internally power factor
> >corrected by the way, and I re-used the original caps.  I drew a drawing to
> >be sure I rewired them correctly, but I suppose it's possible I made a wiring
> >error, do you think a wiring error might cause the 3600 watt output in Tesla
> >use?  (caps are still connected the same as since I ran the TC.)  The thing
> >that was interesting was that not only was the input power to the Tesla Coil
> >3600 watts, but the output sparks from the Tesla coil were stronger than a
> >such a neon trans should be capable of , quenching was impossible with the
> >gap I was using, but same gap easily quenched before rebuilting.  I had to
> >use a rotary to quench!  I would think the trans would shut down under
> >abnormally high secondary current draw?
> >John Freau
> >

> John, it is good to see you active on this list!  For those of you who do
> not know John Freau, he has done more to further tube type coiling than
> anyone I know.  I know of no other tube coiler who has worked his way all
> the way to where he was using pole pigs to supply power to his output tubes.
> Now that is some serious tube type Tesla coil!
>
> Anyway, John, when you figure out exactly what it is you have done to turn
> this neon transformer from a 90 ounce weakling into a sand kicking bully,
> please let us know! There are many coilers out here who start out using
> neons, and if your accidental steroid process can be precisely defined and
> replicated, then I'm sure there are many of us who would love to tweak their
> transformers the same way. Heck, maybe I can use your method to turn my 10
> kva pole pig into a small sub-station ;)
>
> Have a safe Christmas season - remember that those flammable trees are much
> more dangerous than our coils.
>
> Bert Pool
> nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net

John,

It sounds like something is awry in the former itself or the cap.

R. Hull

Bert,

I second that "emotion."  John is a long time friend and Tesla power
house.  He will only increase the knowledge on this list.
Many of you know that I have sung of his laurels long before his joining
us here.

Richard Hull, TCBOR