[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: old/ThuJan223:23:48MST1997

> Date:          Sat, 4 Jan 1997 21:45:52 -0700
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To:            rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com
> Subject:       old/ThuJan223:23:48MST1997

> Subscriber: hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com Thu Jan  2 22:56:37 1997
> Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 17:22:41 -0800
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > > Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
> >
> > Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Mon Dec 23 13:54:40 1996
> > Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:33:28 -0800
> > From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
> >
> > Tesla List wrote:
> > >
> > > Subscriber: rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com Sun Dec 22 20:25:57 1996
> > > Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 14:08:41 -0800
> > > From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> > > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > > Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
> > >
> > > 12/22/96
> > >

> > Richard, Alfred, and all,
> >
> > Interesting insights, Alfred. Conservation of energy holds for Tesla
> > Coils (and most other things on Chip's list!). :^)
> >
> > Richard, trying to change Cs "on the fly", although conceptually
> > correct, would be virtually impossible due to the combination of high
> > voltages and rapid switching required. Fortunately we don't need to do
> > this - there are easier ways! Merely increasing primary capacitance, gap
> > breakdown voltage, reducing secondary capacitance, or improving transfer
> > efficiency will all increase output voltage, as long as the overall
> > system is retuned appropriately. These interrelationships are shown
> > below.
> >
> > The initial energy available "per bang" in the primary circuit is:
> >
> >       Ein = 1/2 (CpVg^2)
> >
> > The maximum energy we'll can get out of the secondary will be:
> >
> >       Eout = 1/2(CsVs^2) = Ein - Losses (all types)
> >
> > Losses include spark gap, resistance and skin effect, secondary ground
> > path resistance, premature corona/streamer generation, and radiated
> > energy. We'll ignore how efficiency might be measured - we just want to
> > see its effect on output voltage. If we let X represent the "transfer
> > efficiency" associated with moving energy from the primary to the
> > secondary, then:
> >
> >       Eout = X*Ein.
> >
> > Now, solving for output voltage Vs:
> >
> >       Vs = Vg*SQRT(X*Cp/Cs)
> >
> > Note that, as Alfred suggests, exactly HOW we transfer this energy does
> > not really matter! A Tesla coil simply does it electromagnetically.
> >
> > Implications:
> > Increasing Cp, Vg, and X, or decreasing Cs will increase Vs. However, Vs
> > increases linearly with increasing Vg, but only as the square-root of
> > the ratio of Cp/Cs. Large systems tend to significantly increase both Vg
> > and Cp, while only moderately increasing Cs (to protect the secondary
> [...]

Sounds like what you guys are talking about in this thread is what
they did commonly 20 years ago in state of the art low noise
amlifiers for microwave communications receiving systems.  The
amplifier was called a 'parametric amplifier' and employed a pump
oscillator at some higher multiple of the desired received signal,
10X was common.  A varactor (voltage variable capacitance) diode was
the key element in this system.  With the pump oscillator swinging
the capacitance of this varactor diode load placed across the weak input
signal it became amplified as pump energy became added to signal
energy sychronously. This is just an idea formed as I am writing this
just now, but is it possible that two Tesla coils operating in
proximity to each other at differing frequencies with a 'magic'
harmonic relationship might produce similar magnification effects?
You would need to mix the two high voltage fields in a medium who's
conductivity was non-linear with applied voltage.  Ordinary clean air may not
work as effectively as polluted air, anyone in the Los Angeles area wanna try
this?  Greg, Mark?

rwstephens