[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Museum Coil Revisited

> Date:          Sat, 4 Jan 1997 21:45:52 -0700
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To:            rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com
> Subject:       old/ThuJan223:24:00MST1997

> Subscriber: ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com Thu Jan  2 23:12:08 1997
> Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 21:06:35 -0600
> From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Museum Coil Revisited
>
> Tesla List wrote:

> > > Subscriber: rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com Tue Dec 31 09:26:10 1996
> > > Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 03:57:13 -0500
> > > From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
> > > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > > Subject: Re: Museum Coil Revisited
> > >
> SNIP
> > > I do wish to buzz MTC higher than 7 kVA soon however
> > > and try to go for 4X the 50 inch resonator length in output spark
> > > length instead of the only 3X it presently does.  I really think it
> > > can!  I'd better try it soon though, Chuck Curran is up to something nearly
> > > identical in secondary resonator size, but sporting considerably more inductance
> > > and also thicker wire, and a significantly larger topload C.   I don't want to loose
> > > my place. : )   Chuck, I haven't heard from you! : )  I spill my
> > > construction secrets to you trying to help, and you hide.  Any hardware store
> > > merchants on this list in Chuck's area, be on the lookout for sales of heavy guage
> > > 200 foot extension cords!  : )  Look out Gerry LaBine!
> >

> Robert:
> 	I didn't think I really had anything too out of the ordinary--100% of
> my new coil specs have been already listed!  Yup, I hide--in the
> basement working on the primary of late.  Just ask my wife.  She did get
> me out on New Years eve though!
>  >
>  >From here on, with any further increases in power I'm going to have to
>  > carefully watch the temperature of my stationary tungsten carbide
> pads on the
>  > rotary which are merely brazed onto their steel supports.  I don't
> want to melt
>  > the brazing.  These contacts are operated in high speed air blast
>  > from a vacuum cleaner blower with two small directed nozzles for
>  > cooling.  So far this has worked faultlessly with the tungsten, but
> amazingly
>  > DID NOT previously when the contact material was mild steel and all
>  > other parameters including power level were identical!  My contacts
> would go
>  > into thermal runaway, incandesce, and vaporize in a steady shower of
> sparks in
>  > the blast air stream.  MTC's rotary break is run just like D.C. Cox's
> unit, without    > any series quench gaps.
>  >
>  > I posted my ideas on this a while ago, postulating that
>  > the tungsten could operate at a much higher surface temperature from
> the
> [...]

Chuck,

Sounds like you are doing very well with your rotary gap.  I have
experimental results in regards to toploads which shud interest you
on another post tonite.

Good luck on what you yourself proclaim as a 'nothing special' coil.  I believe
it will still take synergistic skill/luck/ to make it outperform.
You need to be able to tap into the force Luke!  : )

regards,
rwstephens