[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

At 10:25 PM 1/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com Thu Jan  9 22:23:41 1997
>Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 12:19:03 -0500 (EST)
>From: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

><<   >>
> >I want to rub down a tire of this size with graphite and somehow keep it
> >under a solution of CuSO4 and plate it with copper to a thick coating. I
>just
> >dont know how to keep it covered with solution with air in it and it has to
> >have the air to maintain shape. Any ideas?  Stephen
>

>   Try filling the tube with water.  Where are you getting the CuSO4 from

Copper Sulfate is used as a root killer in sewage systems.  Chemicals
purchased from chemical supply houses are costly, as well as usually of a
higher grade than needed here.  You do not need analytical purity for this
use.  Ace hardware carries it as root killer, and probably at the lowest
cost you can find.  since such a project will use a lot of the chemical, you
will likely be forced to purchase it cheaply.  Disposing of copper sulfate
has it's problems as well, as it listed by the EPA as a toxic heavy metal
and subject to much regulation.  Most urban localities support a home
household hazardous waste program which will accept your waste free.  Check
into your ability to legally get rid of the excess before you get into the
project.  Copper sulfate is bad news in ground water, and the fines are ruinous!

Jack Herron