[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gap Design Alternatives

I'm planning a TC using a 12KV/30mA neon xfmr, .006-.009uF cap, etc.  For
the spark gap I'm wondering about the following design as an alternative to
a series of copper pipe sections:

There would be 6 copper or brass disks, each about 1 inch diameter and 1
inch long, all in a line, thus forming 5 gaps (visualize as a sliced
salami).  Further, the disks would all have a 1/4-20 threaded hole thru the
center, and would be on a 1/4-20 threaded nylon rod.  The faces on the disks
would be lathe-turned and would be perpendicular to the length of the nylon
rod.  The gaps could be adjusted like adjusting nuts on a screw.  The whole
assembly might rest in a shallow "trough" in some insulating material.

My questions:

1. Would the nylon stand up to the heat?  If not, is there a suitable
material I could find threaded (or thread myself)?

2. Would the 1 inch diameter and length be enough for good heat dissipation?
   Would other proportions be better?

3. Which would be better, brass or copper?

4. Would the individual disks be likely to rotate (get out of adjustment)
during use?

5. Any other problems or considerations?

Thanks for any comments or ideas!

Tedd