[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grounding ?'s

>I would suggest making up something with either copper blocks or even
>brass
>bolts and phenolic or plastic for supports and insulation.  You need
>three
>contacts with the center stationary and the two outside (bolts)
>adjustable.
> The center contact goes to your main RF ground (transformer case,
>bottom of
>secondary, etc).  The two moveable contacts connect directly to the
>H.V.
>transformer outputs.  Start with each gap set to about .10" or .15"
>and
>adjust them so they just barely fire when the coil is running.
>
>Ed Sonderman

Thanks ed,
	Unfortunately I got it a little too late.  I did fire my coil
thurs. night for the science fair.  It worked!!!!!  I was kind of amazed
actually.  Anyway I made the gape using 4" pvc drain pipe and 3 - 1.5"
copper tubing sections.  I kind of made a minerature spark gap with the
center electrode to ground ( I think the spacing ended up at about .3 or
.4" or so).  I also connected the base of the secondary to a metal sheet under the coil which was also grounded to the receptacle ground.  I also
used 2- 6 snapple bottle brine caps with the 13 turn 10 ga hellical
primary spaced .5".
	Well after a little tuning ( I am sure I did not have it in real
good tune.) I got about 6 " to air and about 8 or 9" to ground.  (I know
its wimpy but the kids and I were amazed).  I was also really really
happy not to blow my transformer since it is the only one I have at the
moment.
	Anyway, I am hoping to try and fine tune it (which I am not real
sure how to do aside from randomly moving the connections to the
primary) and possibly try adding another 6 bottles or so.( I have a
grand total of 5 - 6 bottle caps, would adding more in series or
parallel be of any benefit).
	All suggestions/critiscism/advice welcome.

Thanks
Ronnie