[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First big magnifier run

At 12:25 AM 2/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>> Subject: First big magnifier run
>
>Subscriber: nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net Fri Feb  7 00:22:55 1997
>Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 03:18:57 -0600 (CST)
>From: Bert Pool <nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: First big magnifier run
>
>At 10:41 PM 2/5/97 -0700, Ed Wingate wrote:
>
>>> Subject: First big magnifier run
>>
>[big snip]
>

>>Bill and Bert,
>>
>>Congrats and welcome to the magnifier ranks. Isn't it great to have one
>>work so well on the first try? Especially a magnifier. I am sure that
>>you will make it to your goal considering your results so far. I'm truly
>>glad that the stationary electrode moved away from instead of toward the
>>rotor studs with possibly disasterous results. One small example why
>>safety is paramount.
>>Keep up the good work.
>>
>>Ed Wingate
>>

>Thanks Ed!  It's the caps you sold me that are running this thing.  I'm
>gonna stick a big bright yellow bumper sticker on my coil (does it really
>have a bumper?) that says "Powered by Wingate."  :)
>
>I'm thinking about drilling a hole through each of my stationary electrodes
>and putting a cotter pin through just in case the set screw vibrates loose,
>or if I forget to lock it down again, then the electrode _can't_ move in too
>far.
>
>Bert Pool
>nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net

Everyone else,

I think Ed and Bert remember this from the Teslathon talk I gave here last year.

My Series quench rotary is mounted about 10 feet up in the air on the rear
wall of the lab.  Maggie 11-A was firing one time and one of my tungsten
disk rim electrodes came adrift and zinged out at bullet velocities.  The
imbalance in the large wheel vibrated the entire rear wall of the lab (20'
X17') so bad that the neighbors ran out and thinking a prop plane was trying
to avoid crashing as it raced its engines near the ground!!!!

Inside the lab it sounded like the end of the world at the lab reverberated
from the huge sounding board.  I was quick enough to kill the gap motor so
that motor shaft 5/8" was not bent.  But it was quite an experience.  I
found the electrode stuck in the concrete floor.

Richard Hull, TCBOR