[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: introduction (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 13:45:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: introduction (fwd)

<<
 Hi all.  I am new to the list and I am amazed at all the good info I have
 seen.         My current tesla project is a 24" X 48" coil wound on a
 laquered wood and air drum.  I will be using a rotary spark gap that I
 built.  The motor is 36oo RPM with 12 studs.  The primary capacitor is 0.1
 uf at 25Kv that I bought surplus at a hamfest and is still in good
 condition.  I have several other capacitors of various ratings that I have
 collected over the years for experimenting.  I still need to locate a "pig"
 to run it but can run it on a 15kv,100ma xfmr for now.  I still need to
 construct the output terminal. I have built several smaller coils in the
 past that produced up to 18" discharges.
         I am 38 years old, and am back at school (MSOE.edu) part time to get
 my BSEE. I will graduate (again) next year. I work at General Electric
 Medical Systems, working on our MRI imagimg systems and superconducting
magnets.
         I too, have the High Power Electronics book on my shelf that some of
 you are searching for.  I got mine from the Electronics Book Club back in
 1990 or so.  It is a good book. I look forward to learning and contributing
 to this fine list. >>

Michael,

Sounds like a good project.  Be careful with that capacitor.  Is that 25 kv
rating D.C.?  The cap for a Tesla tank circuit needs to be rated A.C. and for
pulse duty.  If you try using a D.C. rated cap, it must have a voltage rating
of 3 or 4 times (at least) the A.C. voltage that you plan to use.

Ed Sonderman