[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: parts search (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:01:07 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: parts search (fwd)

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:18:03 -0800 (PST) Christopher Stone
<stone-at-etak-dot-com> wrote;

> I can sympathize, I have been searching for the parts to make a
> small Neon Transformer powered 4" secondary coil.  So far I have
> my polyethelyne coil form and some brass bolts and angles for spark
> gaps.  I still need the transformer, caps, wire for the secondary,
> and primary.

Have you considered using the wire in the degausing coils of trashed color
T.V.s, granted it's aluminum but it's typicaly around #26 B&S gauge and
anywhere from 1 to 3 thousand feet in length depending of course on how
large the T.V.'s screen was. Forget about using wire for the primary and
instead use 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch copper tubing. I've also seen a few coils
built with the primary being made of 1 inch wide copper or aluminum roofing
sheet metal cut in a looong strip! For your neon sign transformer, try
calling a few sign building stores and ask if you could get a "burned out"
one, typicaly they will let you rummage through a small mountain of
transformers in the back. Be sure to take a power cord with three insulated
alligator clips so you can plug in the transformers, and it wouldn't hurt
to bring a two foot length of H.V. insulated wire to spark test each side
of a transformer to the case thus proving both sides work. I wish you luck
finding your parts! Oh yes it would be a good idea to use a pick up truck
when you visit the neon sign shop, the last time I visited one the owner
told me I could have all of his "burned out" transformers just to get them
off his property, he had over 200 transformers in a garage!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/