[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bypass caps and Neons *NEEDED!* (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:23:26 EST
From: Esondrmn <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Bypass caps and Neons *NEEDED!*

- snip -

<<    I neglected to mention, safety gaps across the primary
 cap IMHO is a BIG NO NO, safety gaps go from the
 transformer end bell to ground, a gap across the primary
 cap places a SMALL inductance directly across the
 primary cap and when it fires results in a ring frequency
 of 5-15 mhz or higher of very high current that is coupled
 to NOTHING,  deadly for capacitors.

 Mark Graalman

Mark,

You say a safety gap across the tank capacitor is a bad idea?  After blowing
two C.P. caps, it was suggested by at least a few folks on this list that I
add a safety gap across the cap to protect it.  I am using a 14.4 kv pole pig
running at 5 to 8 kva.  The gap is currently set at 5/8" and fires like a
rifle when I try to put too much power into the system.  The gap uses #10
solid copper wire bolted directly to the capacitor terminals.  The gap ends
are bent into 1.0" diameter circles and soldered and de-burred.

I would like to hear other folks opinion on this subject.  I believe both Mr.
Cox and Malcolm suggested the addition of the safety gap across the cap.
Malcolm, you have the same C.P. caps that I have.  What kind of safety gap do
you use, what transformer voltage, and how far do you open the gap?

Ed Sonderman