[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bypass caps and Neons *NEEDED!*

From: 	Mark S Graalman[SMTP:wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-com]
Sent: 	Friday, December 12, 1997 12:22 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Bypass caps and Neons *NEEDED!*

  I set the safety gap to the point where it just stops
firing when JUST THE TRANSFORMER is connected to it
and the primary voltage to the transformer is switched
on and off, I also use rounded electrodes for the safety
gap, such as 1/4-20 acorn nuts.
 A filter system without a path to ground (bypass)
can't work, if you look at the filter network as a
frequency dependent voltage divider one can see
that without a current path to ground the divider
can't work.
   I neglected to mention, safety gaps across the primary
cap IMHO is a BIG NO NO, safety gaps go from the
transformer end bell to ground, a gap across the primary
cap places a SMALL inductance directly across the
primary cap and when it fires results in a ring frequency
of 5-15 mhz or higher of very high current that is coupled
to NOTHING,  deadly for capacitors.

Mark Graalman