[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Spark Gap.

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, December 07, 1997 12:19 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Rotary Spark Gap.

to: Josh

Mounting the aluminum disks in "an electrically isolated configuration"
might be more of a problem than you suspect.  Insulators have the unique
property of high voltage "tracking" across their surface -- sometimes up to
10 times the normal distance -- and this depends greatly upon the relative
humidity, dust, and other factors.  The HV RF currents might try to track
across your insulator and strike the motor shaft, ie, ground.  I still
suggest using G-10 as the rotor with axial 1/2 dia. brass rod and tungsten
electrodes as the best answer.  Aluminum, like steel, is also a relatively
poor conductor of high frequency currents and your peak current will suffer
if you use the conducting properties of aluminum for your RSG.

HV insulator tracking is a problem and it is worse with RF currents.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net