[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Losses

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, August 26, 1997 1:45 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re:  Gap Losses

Richard Hull wrote:

> As regards what is the optimum surge impedance..... I honestly believe it is
> like everything else in this messy business...firmly planted in ever
> shifting sand.
>
> It is part of the art.
>
> A question to your question what is really high? ...Low?  It is as much
> power related (relates to frequency too) as to some magic number. You
> effectively said this earlier.

Well, I know that 5.3 ohms is too low for a 4-gap rotary, and I suspect
that 50 ohms is pushing the high side for most gap systems, even the ones
with a zillion static gaps in series.  My rule of thumb at this time is:

Zchar = 4 ohms X number of series gaps in primary switch.

I would be interested to know where yours (and others) Zchar values fall,
for your favorite 2-coil systems.

-GL