[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC vs MAG

From: 	bmack[SMTP:bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 24, 1997 10:37 PM
To: 	tesla list
Subject: 	TC vs MAG

hello all

I've been reading references here and there on the list to
magnifiers and secondary windings of TC's.

To the best of my understanding, the difference between the
mag and the TC is that the mag uses tight HF transformer coupling
(as tight as air core gets-that is) and uses an additional quarter wave
resonator in series with the Hf transformer secondary.  This additional
resonator should have as little  magnetic coupling as possible as to
avoid damping. Right so far?

My questions are:

1) Is the mag secondary quarter wave resonant, or is the turns ratio
the main issue here?

2) If it is quarter wave, the sum length is half wave which should
give poor results. Is there some phase abberation that makes this
work?

3) Some coilers don't get seem to get too fussy about the actual
wire length used, rather they use a "magic number" of 900 turns.
Maybe I'm too theoretical, but I ALWAYS calculate the wire length
to get a "ballpark" idea of free resonance, THEN go for optimal
aspect ratio.  I would like your opinions on this.

4) In some low power table tops I've built, it was noted that the
resonant freqency was very sensitive to the actual wire length.
In fact the secondary could be in two or more sections separated
by about a foot (didn't try longer) and still maintained a  frequency
realtionship to pure length!
These models used small top capacitances.
Thus my confusion about the magnifier concept.

Thanks in advance,

Jim M