[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Laser Power Supply Components

From: 	chuck seguin[SMTP:seguinc-at-algonquinc.on.ca]
Reply To: 	seguinc-at-algonquinc.on.ca
Sent: 	Friday, August 08, 1997 7:43 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Laser Power Supply Components

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]
Good Morning Scott, and everyone else;

I have a supply such as yours.  Mine was taken from what is known as a
Transversally Excited Atmospheric (TEA) CO2 laser.  The XFMR I have can
put out, however, 30kV at an unknown power level.  I have put in roughly
3kVA when running my design.

The entire supply is similar to yours.  The output of the XFRM is
coupled into a full wave bridge and the output of the bridge WAS
connected to a group of paralleled resistors (wire wound) to form a 333k
limiting resistor.  From there this voltage was sent to a divider
network to provide a 10000:1 voltage ratio to permit output voltage
measurements.  This whole structure was submerged in oil and capped
off.   The HV output was passed through an opening in the top and
carried on a length of RG-8U (.5" diam) coax cable.

I have removed the limiting resistance and connected the output
directly, this provides me with incredible DC and phenominal current for
my design.  It operates (the TC) very well with only a static gap with a
spacing of aprox. 5/8".  The coil has pulled off arcs 6 feet long in
open air.  FYI; the secondary is 8" diam X 24" long, #20 wire, close
wind.

It appears that your supply is a good one.  Please verify the output of
the XFRM, I strongly doubt you are spect at only 3kV.  CO2 lasers need
to operate at considerably higher voltages, especially if it is a
cutting laser.  Please inform me of the lasing cavity and its possible
recovery; might be interested in refurbishing it.

Have fun with your new supply and look out for a seperate post I will
generate regarding the use of DC.  I have seen another design to be
built by one of the experts on the list which involves a huge coil
operated on 3 phase and rectified to DC.  I have some serious questions.

Chuck