[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

neon current

From: 	gweaver[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, August 02, 1997 10:17 AM
To: 	Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	neon current

I have 3 neons connected in parallel.  They are 15K 30 ma each.  15,000.
volts 90 ma = 1350 watts. The neons are matched within 8 volts or less of
each other.

With the high voltage leads shorted the amp meter reads 14 amps on the
primary coil of the 3 neons 1680 watts.  With a power factor correction
capacitor connected to the primary the currents drops to 11.25 amps.  1350
watts.  I am connected to a 15 amp circuit breaker.

With the neons connected to the Tesla Coil and a .005 uf capacitor in the LC
circuit the amp meter reads 14.5.  With a power factor connection capacitor
connected to the primary the current drops to 13 amps.  1560 watts.

With the neons connected to the Tesla Coil and a .01 uf capacitor in the LC
circuit the amp meter reads 16.5.  With a power factor connection capacitor
connected to the primary the current drops to 14.25 amps.  1980 watts.

With the neons connected to the Tesla Coil and a .015 uf capacitor in the LC
circuit the amp meter reads 19.  With a power factor connection capacitor
connected to the primary the current drops to 16.5 amps.  2280 watts.

With the neons connected to the Tesla Coil and a .02 uf capacitor in the LC
circuit the amp meter reads 21.  With a power factor connection capacitor
connected to the primary the current drops to 17 amps.  2520 watts.

With the neons connected to the Tesla Coil and a .025 uf capacitor in the LC
circuit the amp meter reads 24.  With a power factor connection capacitor
connected to the primary the current drops to 19 amps.  2880 watts.

With the neons connected to the Tesla Coil and a .0264 uf capacitor in the
LC circuit the amp meter reads 27.  With a power factor connection capacitor
connected to the primary the current drops to 22 amps.  1560 watts.  I am
getting 54" white hot sparks from the toroid.

The increased primary circuit capacitance made the output sparks get longer
thicker hotter and very much louder.  I tried 2 different amp meters and
still get false readings even with the power factor correction capacitors. I
can not be pulling 22 amps of a 15 amp breaker for 3 minutes.  It is not
possible.  I tested the breaker and it will trip at 16 amps after a few
seconds. I even tried a watthour meter.

Is there a way to get a true amp reading from the primary while the TC's is
in operation?

Gary Weaver