[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re: Cascading Transfo

Subject:        RE: Re: Cascading Transfo
       Date:    Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:41:24 GMT
       From:    robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>>                     Cascading Mil. Spec. Power Transformers
T>>                     ---------------------------------------
T>>
T>>         To some of you this may be blitheringly obvious.  To others
T>>         --- well --- perhaps not, judging by some of the posts I've
T>>         seen here recently.
T>>
T>>         The essential idea is this:   =If= one has a power (or
plate)
T>>         transformer which was manuf. to military specifications,
then
T>>         the ratings on the spec. plate of such a transformer can be
T>>         taken as =starting point= or minimum values.
T>>

T>So far so good. Mil spec stuff can almost always be pushed as regards
T>the
T>electrical specs. Pushing to 200% is rather commonplace.

        [ ... ]

T>We are missing a basic fact. If you apply 1,000 volts to the primary
of
T>transformer designed for 120 volts input, you are gonna fry the
primary
T>*even if* the secondary of that transformer is not connected. Heck,
I'm
T>sure there are guys on this list that can recount what happened to
them
T>when they applied even 220 to a 120 primary with the secondary
unloaded.
T>Its a little thing called flux density. Too much of it and the core
T>can't
T>take it anymore. Even mil spec transformers are not going to take 1000
T>volts on the 120 volt primary. They will start to magnetically
saturate
T>LONG before *that*!! You might be able to push a 120 v primary to
about
T>300

                In most of the matters discussed on this list --
                I would readily defer to your patently
                greater knowledge and experience.

                In the instant case I cannot.

                The thousand volts in - to a 120-V mil. spec.
                transformer primary may be a bit optimistic,
                but I can absolutely vouch for 500 volts in
                - to a 120-v. primary.  Ran stone cold - and
                gave every indication of doing so forever.

T>Let's assume that (a) you have a variac driving the primary of the
first
T>transformer, (b) the two transformers are connected as you describe,
and
T>(c) the second transformer has NO LOAD whatsoever. (Making it totally
T>useless for doing anything, by the way, but let's do it this way just
T>for
T>jollies to see what happens.)

                It was never my intention that the setup I depicted
                be run with no load.  As you state this has no
                practical value.

                If you are proposing this as a cautionary amendment
                to the point I was making, then it is accepted with
                thanks:

                       Don't run at no-load.  Else, use especial
                       caution if you do.

                [ ... ]

                Your hypothetical experiment makes a =lot= of
                tacit assumptions about the relative impedances
                of the two transformers.

                You may be right.  You may not.  It depends on
                the specs. of particular transformers.

                                - - - - - - - -

                One of the fallacies in your hypothetical experiment
                is the assumption that the secondary of the first
                transformer can deliver enough current
                to saturate the core of the second transformer.  It
                might.  It might not.

                I wonder if you are maintaining cognizance of the
                fact that the high-voltage secondary is a high-impedance
                low current source?   My strong sense is that you are
                not.

                If one is using 1-kW. transformers, then only one
                amp will be available from the secondary, whereas the
                primary will normally draw  1000/120 = 8.333 amps.

                In other words, the transformer would not normally
                saturate until =at least= 8.333 amps were flowing in
                the primary, yet only 1 amp. is available from the
                secondary of the first transformer.

                               - - - - - - - - -

        [ ... ]
T>You don't need two transformers to prove what I am saying. Hook up a
T>light
T>bulb in series with the 12.6 volt side of a 12.6 volt transformer (or
T>any
T>other low voltage transformer). Connect bulb/low volt side to variac
and
T>slowly increase voltage until lamp *begins* to light. Measure voltage
T>across low volt side of transformer. This is the voltage at which this
T>particular transformer begins to saturate with a no-load secondary
T>condition.

T>Here's another fun demo. Once you get the 110 volt lamp lit dimly, try
T>shorting what used to be the primary (black wires, which are now the
T>secondary). Ooooh! Look at how the primary current increased when you
T>shorted the secondary, causing the lamp to get brighter. Guess what?
If
T>the
T>lamp was not there you would have blown a fuse. Once the core is
T>saturated
T>the primary will draw excessive currents.

                Forgive me but I do not see the relevance.

                I cannot accept your assertion that the moment the
                light bulb begins to glow is necessarily the same
                instant the core is saturated.

                        | Bulbs of differing wattages will  |
                        | beget different results in this   |
                        | demonstration!    Try it.         |

   [ ... ]

T>You are only looking at the voltage stress issue here. By the law of
T>conservation, the current in the primary of the first transformer will
T>be
T>8.33 times the current in the second transformer's primary. I don't
T>really
T>think that the military stuff is built THAT much over the rated specs!
T>especially don't think that they have over-spec'd the size of the CORE
T>by a
T>factor of 8.

                With all due respect, sir (sincerely said and meant),
                No, no, and no!

                The secondary of the first transformer can deliver
                only 1-amp. (assuming for the sake of discussion
                it is a 1-kW transformer).

                Therefore, the primary of the second transformer
                can receive only 1-amp.  Normally, this primary
                would draw 8.333 amps. from a 120-volt line under
                full load.

                It's not a "factor of 8" as you write, but a factor
                of =less= than one-eighth  (1/8.333 to be precise).

T>833% over spec? I doubt it. But hey, the proof is in the doing of it.
T>Have
T>you personally lashed together two 1KV transformers and gotten 8.33 KV
T>for
T>more than 16.66 milliseconds? Maybe Gary has done something along
these

        [ ... ]

                As stated, this is based on practical work.  I did
                use only 500-v. into the primary of 120-v. mil spec.
                transformers of various types.

                I did =not= operate open-circuit or no load.

                I got the voltage boost expected with no obvious
                harm to the transformer.

                In one extreme case, the second transformer was
                rated for 10,000-v. output.  With 500-v. in I got
                approximately 50,000-volts out, based upon spark-gap
                distance.  I had expected an immediate burn-out and
                was startled at my good fortune.

                I never did any life-testing, so I have no idea if
                my 50,000-volts of good fortune would have lasted
                a week, a month, or a year.

T>lines... Gary seems to do many strange experiments. And many GREAT
T>experiments, too! Gary Weaver's latest post on "Best Primary Coil" was
T>excellent. Much better than his microwaved blackbird thing...

                He worries me. ( I hope he does not live anywhere
                near Detroit.)

    [ ... ]

T>This is true ONLY if you do not saturate the core of either
transformer.
T>Once you saturate either core, all bets are off.

                I'm gratefully willing to accept this as a valid
                addition to what I wrote.  As stated however, I
                do not believe it is possible to saturate the core
                of a transformer with an 8.333 amp primary by
                forcing into it 1-amp of current.

    [ ... ]

T>To anyone attempting to try this, I suggest you try to determine where
T>the
T>second transformer is going to saturate by using a variac and
attaching
T>the
T>input in series with a low wattage 110 v light bulb. When the light
bulb
T>begins to light, you have hit the wall. Any increase from this point
up
T>will be totally wasted energy which will be used for smoke generation.

T>For transformers with higher amp ratings you can use a larger wattage
T>light
T>bulb.

T>Fr. Tom McGahee

                It's always well to proceed with caution.  I second
                this thought completely.

                Light bulbs are highly non-linear as regards con-
                duction -vs.- wattage -vs.- first appearance of
                light.

                So -- to be quite scientific about it, choose your
                light bulb carefully -- or better yet use an ammeter
                in the light bulb circuit.

                                        Potentially yours in -
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels