[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Spark Gap Design Brainstorming

Subject:  Re: Rotary Spark Gap Design Brainstorming
  Date:   Tue, 22 Apr 1997 18:20:28 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Though I havetn't actually made one of these things yet Ive been trying
>to think of optimal designs.
>These are some thoughts that I have had that I havent seen before or
>heard of from anyone on this list yet so I thought I would throw them
>out there for general consumption and feedback;
>
>a - turbulent air flow over the points seems to be an advantageous
>thing, why not alternate non conductive fins or vanes with the points on
>the rotor such that after each point fires the atmosphere in the
>immediate vicinity is forcibly disturbed.
>
>this then led to
>
>b - possibly even better, yet more difficult to construct, a sandwich
>rotor, something like a vented disk brake. each side of the rotor would
>have a smaller diameter plate attached to it by radiating vanes. the
>inner diameter of this sandwiched plate would be larger than the axle,
>allowing for intake.
>this would be like sandwiching a rotary spark gap and two centrifugal
>fans. Each contact on the rotor could be alloted its own 'jet' so that
>it was constantly being cooled. And the stationary points would have a
>constant blower accross them as well. Thus the 'blower' operation would
>be instrinsic to the operation of the rsg.
>
>I hope i described this well enough that you can see it without
>drawings.
>
>any thoughts? Has this been tried?

I'm sure a similar scenario has been though of before, but to my
knowledge,
never constructed.  I find most any gap you can imagine has been thought
of
and most have been built and forgotten. (mostly during the spark gap
transmitter days.)  This designs are just being rediscovered all over
again.

Why don't you build up your idea and report back to us on it.

Richard Hull, TCBOR