[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Stacked capacitor (fwd)

Subject:
        Stacked capacitor (fwd)
  Date:
        Fri, 11 Apr 1997 22:14:20 -0600 (MDT)
  From:
        List owner <listown-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:31:20 -0600
From: "Phillip M. Jarvis" <jarvisp-at-bee.d93.k12.id.us>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Stacked capacitor

I just made a stacked cap with 16oz. copper (measured thickness is 25
mils) and 6 plates each with 206 sq. inches of area. 120 mil
ployethylene dielectric and light mineral oil as the drowning agent.
Light mineral oil does not have the mineral content so it insulates
better than heavy mineral oil which is commonly used for - well, relief.

I made the plates so (looking at them edgewise):

   _____________________
  |_____________________
  |_____________________

An identical 3 plates were made in the same fashion, placed so that they
were a mirror image, then meshed together. 2 sheets of 60 mil poly were
placed in between the plates. The distance between the plates is 120
mils:

   _____________________
  | _____________________
  |_____________________ |
  | _____________________|
  |_____________________ |
    _____________________|

I built the tank with .25" plexi, but I would do it in Lexan.  The tank
has ribs that extend into the interior of the tank to hold the plate
assembly in suspension. I made it a very tight fit so that when I pump
down, the ribs against the assembly keep the tank's shape.  The poly is
cut a little oversize to keep any arc-over from happening around the
ends of the plates. The ribs also help squeeze the air out during pump
down.  The best glue is Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), it melts the
plexiglass for a unibond. Theoretical size of this cap is .005uF, but I
will measure it to be sure. It should be good for 40kV. I haven't had a
chance to use it yet - too busy giving tests to my students.

Phillip Jarvis