[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

Tesla List wrote:

> >From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comTue Sep 10 22:47:43 1996
> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:25:23 GMT
> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging
>

> Chuck, did you use steel or brass bolts?

Jim:
	I used 10-24 brass hardware to attach the copper tubes.  Another
thought hit me on this topic.  The PVC tube itself could also be
distorting due to the heating of the copper tubes.  I think I will mike
the 6" I.D. tube and see if the O.D. is way out of round.  Just another
thought, I'll let you know if I find anything of interest.

Chuck

> Hum,
>         I'm using 1" Cu pipe with 3/8" steel bolts. I wonder if it's
> the different temperature coefficient between steel and copper that is
> causing my gap to walk?
>
>         jim
>
> The phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a Brass Monkey"
> originated with the (sailing) war ships going around the "cape". Only
> down there did it got cold enough that the balls fell off the Brass
> Monkey. i.e. the Cannon Balls shrunk in diameter and the Brass
> Monkey's rails shrunk in diameter enough that the balls no longer sat
> on top but fell through. The Brass Monkey was a set of parallel brass
> rails that were used to roll the balls from their storage place to
> each cannon rather than carry them.
>
> Enough temperature coefficient trivia.

This is amazing--I've used that expression every "cold" fall, while deer
hunting in northern Wisconsin, but never knew where it came from!
Thanks