[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next

Tesla List wrote:

> >From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comSat Aug 31 10:37:02 1996
> Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 07:40:22 GMT
> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next
>
> >From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging Next
> >Big Snip
> >
> Ed,
>         Do be careful running without resistive ballast. I've taken
> out 2 microprocessor controlled lamp switches in my house during my
> ballast testing. Both were small off the line powered time or movement
> switches and both probably went when I was testing inductive only
> ballast. (not sure at what stage of test the went, but my TC didn't
> take them out and they were dead after my ballast test without the TC
> connected) I think that the cause was running the inductive ballast
> without a dampening resistor to lessen the flyback into the mains that
> caused their failure. At 60Hz, the 2 RFI filters in series were of no
> use. I have seen hot 1/8"? arcs from my ballast inductor to my RFI
> filter case (earth ground) when I "misplaced" the inductor next to the
> filter.
>
> During testing, I had to place a 23uF motor start cap from
> line-to-line after my RFI filters and before the ballast to prevent
> the RFI filters from shorting. It was a 3 phase filter, 2 phases are
> now shorted together.
>
> If I remember correctly, you were using multiple oven elements for
> resistive ballast? try using fewer elements. This will reduce the
> dampening of your arc welders inductance.
>
>         jim

All,

Here, here, I second the motion.  We have struggled here in Richmond to
learn all this the hard way too.  On tape #8 1990 we finalize this maxim
for all to see.  The resistance is a must for all the above reasons with
pole type xfrmers.  Bill Richards ignited a lamp socket in his ceiling.
He also burned out a wall light switch.  Alex Tajnsek took out a stove
exhaust fan (caught fire).  The bunggy cord nature of the resitive
portion of the ballast mushes the response of the big inductor.  Gotta
have it for best operation!  I believe it was in 1990 that I wrote a
sysergistic tune paper for Harry Goldman.  This covered spark gaps, etc.

Richard Hull, TCBOR