[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 100 kva coil

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: 100 kva coil
>
> >From bturner-at-apc-dot-netTue Sep 17 22:14:41 1996
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 01:57:26 -0700
> From: open_minded <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 100 kva coil
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From gcerny-at-megspo.megsinet-dot-netMon Sep 16 22:13:21 1996
> > Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 23:38:00 +0000
> > From: Glenn <gcerny-at-megspo.megsinet-dot-net>
> > To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: 100 kva coil
> >
> > I stumbled across this url tonight:
> >
> > http://www.rosenelectric-dot-com/index.html
> > http://www.rosenelectric-dot-com/page5.html
> >
> > They have a picture of  a 100kva coil cranking out
> > some 16 meter arcs and say they are building a
> > 500 kva that will put out 50 meter arcs.
> >
> > They also supply oil filled and dry type transformers
> > and other supplies.
> >
> > Neato....
>
> For your information, that coil was built by Bill Wysock...
>
> There has been discussion in the group here that a coil
> of that size and power should really be cranking out some
> hellatious sparks!
>
> - Brent

Brent,

Yeah, the coils both the 100KVA job and the proposed 500KVA job should be
real performers, but we can't really say what they should be doing
without being there.  I opt for sparks vastly shorter than most of us
would think for such systems.  To my knowledge only Bob Golka and Bill
Wwysock have played around over 100KVA.  Little is known by us small time
coilers about the region above 15KVA.  From what I have seen of Golka's
and Wysocks systems, we shouldn't expect a whole lot of bang for our buck
above 25KVA.  Greg Leyh has probably produced the most efficient
giant coil for the KVA used where spark length is concerned.  But he is
in the 15-30KVA range and that may well be sort of a "rope limit" for
spark as power is pushed higher.  I attribute Leyhs success mostly to the
tall coil... not that tall is necessary.  Elevation is!  Tall is a good
substitute.

>From my magnifier work, I have noted that elevation of the output
discharge point above the ground plane along with capacitive loading
will achieve far more in the way of spark that just mere power.  In
general now matter what power you use, the spark length in air is limited
to about twice the length of the path distance from the discharge point
to the ground plane taken at 30 degrees to the normal at the point of
discharge.  Thus, if you have a toroidal discharge point 6 feet off the
ground, it would be almost impossible for an arc to exceed 14 feet in
length.  Such discharge would be very rare too.  This holds for all
discharge systems. (magnifier or two coilers)

Thus for a coil like Leyh's, the possible discharge length would be on
the order of 33 feet. (assuming 14 foot elevation).  If this is not
achieved, then more power or a change in terminal loading would assist in
reaching out this far.  I have a number of videos of Leyh's coil in
operation.  It appears that he can easily hit 25 feet straight line
discharge path (power unknown in that particular video.)  This is quite
efficient for the estimated power input (20-30KVA)  What is your best
point to point spark and highest power Greg that was actually tape
measured out??).

I'll be real curious to know what the best that Wysock can do as his
system is refined and at what actual KVA level these longest hits are
made.  Naturally, a video taped segment with a hit and a walked off tape
measuring would be the ultimate proof.  This is the way we here at the
TCBOR do it.  Words come easy and sparks grow with each telling of the
tale. but video and photographic evidence made at the time of longest arc
are irrefutable.  I believe that the center line of his 8 foot by 3 foot
toroid is mounted about 20' off the ground.  This should mean about a 46
foot limit on sparks.

Richard Hull, TCBOR