[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Illegal?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From kylechad-at-airmail-dot-netTue Sep 17 22:44:52 1996
> Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 19:58:57 -0600
> From: Kyle Chadwick <kylechad-at-airmail-dot-net>
> To: "'tesla-at-pupman-dot-com'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Illegal?
>
> Does any one know if the emf from a Tesla coil is at illegal amounts.

EMF  is potential or voltage.  I am sure you meant ELF fields.  This is
electromagnetic energy.  There are only suggested federal guidelines in
this area and no laws that I am currently aware of limit this value.  The
Tesla coil produces much higher field energies in the Low end of the RF
range.  You would need a calibrated RF field meter to determine this.
(watts) or absorbed (watts/cubic cm.)  Most of the magnetic field
associated with The tesla coil is pretty low. (milligauss)  The "E" field
can be quite high (megavolts/meter) and again, a special meter is
required to determine this accurately.  There is lotsa' stuff goin' on
around a TC running at full tilt.  If it even slightly concerns you,
forget Tesla coils and turn on the TV.

Richard Hull, TCBOR