[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multiphase Tank Circuits

Tesla List wrote:

> >From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-orgSun Sep 29 22:01:03 1996
> Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 20:43:00 GMT
> From: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Multiphase Tank Circuits
>
> If any of you have been following my rather tedious post as of
> late regarding the new power supply, I wanted to drop in a
> comment, and perhaps get some feedback on the possibility of
> three
> phase tank circuit inputs.
>
> For those with the publication below I will refer to the text on
> pp. 59 - 61 and figure 38 shown on page 60:
>
> _ NIKOLA TESLA ON HIS WORK WITH ALTERNATING CURRENTS
> AND THEIR APPLICATION TO WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY, TELEPHONY,
> AND TRANSMISSION OF POWER_
> N. Tesla, edited by Leland I. Anderson, published in 1992 by Sun
> Publishing, Div. of Boyle & Anderson, Denver, CO., 80219. Library
> of Congress Catalog #92-60482, ISBN 0-9632652-0-2, paper 237pp;
>
> The referenced diagram and the associated text refer to Tesla's
> use of multi-phase inputs.
>
> >From my understanding of the information provided, it appears
> Tesla was using a synchronous break with three stationary
> electrodes driven directly from the shaft of the generator. In
> the text he refers to similar arrangements using up to eight
> phase
> inputs.
>
> My first thoughts on this lead me to ask if anybody has tried
> this in one form or another. This looks like a way to process
> more power through a system, which could be very helpful in
> squeezing additional spark lengths from existing coil sets. It
> might also be a way to obtain good results from moderately sized
> coil sets designed for the production of fireballs.
>
> Additional thoughts on this subject lead me to wonder about the
> existence of moderately sized three phase synchronous motors for
> the gap. It is not likely I will be picking up a three phase
> motor/generator set in the near future, but with a right motor
> and gap assembly it is conceivable I could run some low power
> tests in this area by adding a third pole pig to my matched pair,
> then ganging up my third variac and wiring everything for three
> phase operation.
>
> A couple of years ago, before I married and bought this house, I
> had an architect draw and estimate a commercial building with 20
> foot ceilings, sunken "grease pit" type depression in the center
> of the floor, and 3 phase 480 volt power supply. The total cost
> for the bare bones structure was about what I paid on my house
> (~$95K). It is not inconceivable that I may build this structure
> sometime in the more distant future.
>
> Richard Quick
>
> ... If all else fails... Throw another megavolt across it!

Richard,

Unfortunately, I don't have Leland's book (yet), so I can't see the
diagram. Does this mean using a 3-phase power source, and three tank
capacitors switched to one primary or to 3 independent primaries? This
sounds like a great way to triple the effective break rate without
overstressing individual caps. I'm continually amazed at the true genius
of Tesla!

Since the three phases are synchronized to each other, a single-phase
synchronous motor would still work, as long as you offset the gap sets
for the other two phases by 120 and 240 degrees. This would let you run
lower power experiments without having to commit to a 3-phase motor.
BTW, will the power company provide you with 3-phase in a residential
area for free or will you have to shell out some $$? Or were you
thinking about a motor-generator or inverter setup?

Boy, I'd love to have 20 foot cielings (and 20 feet on all sides)!
Sounds like it'd make for one FINE industrial-sized lab for serious
coilin!

Safe (and potentially 3-phase) coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --