[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

EMP cabinet

Hi Guys,

Another fantastic weekend of hamfestin'.  I just picked up an incredible
buy.  As most of you know, I have been working with Tesla coils and their
electrostatic implications of late.  I have had to acquire a lot of real
sensitive gear (electrometers, picoammeters, etc.)  All this gear has
been Uncle sam Surplus and is rack mount stuff.  Most has come from the
Naval Research Lab and the Harry Diamond ordenance labs in Silver
Springs, Md. via hamfest surplus buys.

This weekend at the Va. Beach hamfest, I picked up a US government, Mil
spec. EMP proof standard 19" rack cabinet!  Another cast off from the
Naval Reserch Labs.  It is all aluminum with Mu metal interior.  It is 6'
tall, fully castered, and has front and rear doors.  The main door has 4
special cadmium plated half-turn, fold away latches which assist in
entombing the gear within.  There is a heavy silver puffy braiding that
lines the door all around. (like a refrigerator door gasket seal)  This
mashes against a cadmium plated rim on the face of the cabinet to act as
an RF seal when the door is closed.  It has huge twin 300 CFM blowers in
a chrome plated base and top unit along with full channeled plenum
within. complete elecrical busses carry voltage all over the cabinet's
interior.

  I should be able to put all that FET based stuff inside this baby and
let the Maggey 11-E spraks play all over the cabinet with no damage to
the sensistive gear sealed up within.

The Fed stock number was looked up prior to my ripping all the FED ID
stuff off.  Uncle Sam (you and I) paid $8,128.00 for this special
cabinet.  I paid $25.00!!  Thanks guys for your tax contributions inorder
that I might have this cabinet.

Oh yeah, I picked up some HV transformers and Another Keithley digitally
selected HV DC supply ($25), 20KV silicon HV wire, along with a gang of
other neat Tesla applicable goodies.

Richard Hull, TCBOR