[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Transformer Query

>>From Neil.Pegg-at-src.bae.co.ukTue Oct  8 22:24:40 1996
>Date: Tue, 8 Oct 96 20:14:28 BST
>From: Neil Pegg <Neil.Pegg-at-src.bae.co.uk>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Cc: Neil.Pegg-at-src.bae.co.uk
>Subject: Tesla Coil Transformer Query

>Hello,
>My first post.

>I'm currently building a coil around a transformer used, I think, for
>boiler ignition purposes (I got it from a central heating equipment shop).
>It is rated at 10kV 20mA but says on the case "For Intermittent Use Only"
>and then "33% ED in 3min".
>What does this mean and will the unit be okay for a TC?
>I'm also going to use 5 X 0.001 uF mica caps rated at 20kV (ex admiralty)
>with probably a static gap.
>What sort of spark length can I expect with this coil assuming it is a
>good one?

>Many thanks in advance for any info

>Neil
>From:    Neil E Pegg
>email:   Neil.Pegg-at-src.bae.co.uk

Neil,

Welcome aboard!  I don't know what the "33% ED in 3 min" means, but
the fact that this is an intermittent rated transformer should not be
a problem for TC use.  Most Tesla coils are run intermittently as
well.

In my experience you should get about 10 - 12 inches, maybe as much as 14
inches out of your coil with those caps and transformer if your
coil is 'a good one'.  Make sure you use a fixed gap with more than
two gaps, I would think 4 would work well at this power level.  I
would also recommend large value air core RF chokes in each leg of
the transformer for transformer protection (150-350 mH range) and a
safety needle point gap across the output hots of the transformer set
wide enough to only occassionally fire.

Good luck.

rwstephens