[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multiphase Tank Circu

Quoting Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>:

> Unfortunately, I don't have Leland's book (yet), so I can't see
> the diagram. Does this mean using a 3-phase power source, and
> three tank capacitors switched to one primary or to 3
> independent primaries?

The schematic Tesla submitted showed a single primary. Each phase
from the alternator was stepped up and the HV was used to charge
a separate capacitor. In the referenced schematic Tesla was using
three phases charging three capacitors. The synchronous break had
three stationary electrodes, one to fire each capacitor. All
capacitors discharged into the same primary coil.

> This sounds like a great way to triple the effective break rate
> without overstressing individual caps. I'm continually amazed
> at the true genius of Tesla!

It was a pretty impressive notion in my opinion as well.

> Since the three phases are synchronized to each other, a
> single-phase synchronous motor would still work, as long as you
> offset the gap sets for the other two phases by 120 and 240
> degrees. This would let you run lower power experiments without
> having to commit to a 3-phase motor.

Noted.

> BTW, will the power company provide you with 3-phase in a
> residential area for free or will you have to shell out some
> $$?

I don't think they would run three phase in here. I was thinking
about operations at another site. I have a friend who's family
owns a large commercial operation with three phase wiring, and I
could probably arrange low power testing. Down the road I may yet
get a building of my own. I am trying to plan ahead, for if you
don't plan, you don't progress.

> Or were you thinking about a motor-generator or inverter setup?

Motor/generator sets are not hard to come by. Another option.

> Boy, I'd love to have 20 foot cielings (and 20 feet on all
> sides)! Sounds like it'd make for one FINE industrial-sized lab
> for serious coilin!

My wife is getting used to the idea. I spoke of it before we were
married, and nearly just went ahead and built the commercial
building (with small apartment/office in the front). But the
commute and step-son had to be figured in. In the short term I
went conventional, long term is most definately non-conventional.

> Safe (and potentially 3-phase) coilin' to ya!

And to you sir!

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12