[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multiphase Tank Circu

Quoting Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>:

> I've been thinking about a system that uses three-phase input..
> I've not done any experimentation about the subject because it
> requires three caps, a special RSG and three phase equipment I
> don't have because all my systems use 1-phase.

<Snip>

> the system would load three cap with each reaching the peak
> at different times. The rotary would be a synchronous gap with
> x * 2 * y electrodes, where x = 3 with three phase and y to get
> more breaks per half-cycle - assuming constant RPM. The
> electrodes would be connected so that at each firing only one
> (the one with cap loaded and peak voltage) capasitor would be
> connected to the primary coil and thus forming tank. This would
> mean that one would supply THREE TIMES the energy one could
> supply with the same break-rate (per capasitor) using 1-phase
> (and one cap) operation.

Precisely. I could not have said it better myself. Three phases,
three stationary electrodes on the gap, three capacitors (one
charged on each phase), exciting a single primary coil.

> The same would apply using DC input to all caps and amount of
> caps reaching infinity. It would overcome the barrier of finite
> capasitor charging/decharging times..

Cha-ching! (Sound of the cash register opening in my head...)

> Has someone actually done this??

Tesla has this pretty well documented in the publication I
referenced the other day (~Tesla on Alternating Currents~), even
to the point of describing in fair detail how he ran up to eight
phases with alternating current generators into his tank
circuits. In a separate section of text he described (and
submitted photos of) a powerful multi-phase alternator that he
used. He specified that he could step up the output voltage of
the alternator with a custom transformer set and I quote:

"commutate them by a commutator consisting of aluminum plates, or
aluminum segments, which were rotated in synchronism with the
alternator. Then I obtained a continuous pressure; that is,
direct current of a tension of 44,000 volts, and with these
44,000 volts I charged my condensers."

> I don't know if this is what you meant but sounds like fun,

This is exactly what I mean and it does sound like fun.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12