[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isolating the secondary coil

The "single-wire" method is just another form of resonant
coupling.  You could also construct a "Tee" equivalent for
the primary inductor and mutual inductance, and vary the coupling
by adjusting the parameters.  I have done just this in some
circuit simulations using "Electronics Work Bench", and the
results look exactly correct.  As I think about it, that might
(use of an equivalent T instead of magnetically coupled coils)
might well be a convenient way of avoiding breakdown between the
primary coil and the secondary.  I'm sure it will work just
fine, and will try it when I get a chance to get back into the
shop again.
The beauty of the "standard" coupled coil approach is that, by
varying the coil spacing and primary tuning you can adjust the
reflected impedance from the secondary to the amount for maximum
power transformer.  Same technique works just great for radio
transmitter power output stages, which, of course, are also
built with PI and TEE equivalent circuits as well.  The variable
mutual inductance approach is the neatest, if you can rig
it mechanically and avoid breakdown.
For what it's worth,
Ed Phillips