[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Home brew capacitor

e: Plexiglass/perspex and transformer oil
        I've had a large variable capacitor (about 0.005 ufd max)
encased in a 20"x20"x20" plexiglass tank, full of Wemco C transformer
oil, for about 25 years.  The plexiglass is 5/16" thick, with edges
joined with screws and sealed with rubber gaskets.  I didn't make
the thing, and it must have taken the patience of Job to get it all
fitted together, but bottom line is that there is no evidence of
deterioration of the plexiglass, except perhaps some yellowing.  There
is a small amount of seepage, particularly around the top, but wiping
if off with a paper towel once or twice a year keeps that under control.
	Of course, if the tank were deeper there would probably be a
severe problem with hydrostatic pressure and bulging of the sides, but
at this size it seems to handle the loads surprisingly well.
For what it's worth,
Ed