[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A few questions

Tesla List wrote:

> >From kylechad-at-airmail-dot-netSun Oct  6 20:06:45 1996
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 13:52:12 -0500
> From: Kyle Chadwick <kylechad-at-airmail-dot-net>
> To: "'tesla-at-pupman-dot-com'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: A few questions
>
> Hi,
> I am in the middle of making my first Tesla coil and I have a couple of
> questions. Please answer as many as you can.
>
> 1. The plans I have say to take some insulation off the primary for the
> tap. What is a tap?

A tap is a place for the electrical connection of the tank capacitor to
the primary.  You cannot tune the system without these.  R Hull

> 2. I need to adjust the spark gap until I get the largest arc, right?

Well, yes and no.  If you are in tune, the longest spark occurs at the
optimal gap setting.  I close back down a bit once optimum is found and
this helps save the weak neon sign transformer for future firings.
 R. Hull

> 3. For the terminal I going to use a Styrofoam ball wrapped in metal
> duct tape, will that work?

Sure it should work out OK for a smaller system.  R. Hull

> 4. for the insulation on the secondary I am going to use three cans of
> spray on acrylic spray, does it need more?

Not likely.  I never spray my coils, but others do, and it works for
them.  R. Hull

> 5. the plans call for a 6000v transformer and a .005 uf cap, do you think
>    that a 15kv neon light transformer and 12 wine cooler salt water caps
>    would work?

That voltage is a bit high for bottle caps.  15 kv seems to attract a lot
of first timers.  Try a bit lower voltage.  R. Hull

> 6. It calls for a choke, but I thought because i have a neon light
> transformer that I don't need it. Is that right?

Chokes help a bit, but the neon sign transformer is doomed in Tesla
service, ultimately.  R. Hull

> 7. I Am doing this for science fair, can you think of any problems or
> questions that a Tesla coil will solve?

Nope!  It's just pure fun!