[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)

Tesla List wrote:

> >From julian-at-kbss.bt.co.ukThu Oct  3 22:17:12 1996
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 96 10:33:43 BST
> From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
>
> ... snip
> >I am not 100% convinced that this gives best spark.  I am convinced this
> >gives the best RF wave.
>
> >Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> I noticed an effect when watching my coil on the scope.   With no spark
> the ring made a typical decaying envelope trace on the scope.  I did not
> count the number of cycles in the ring there were too many.  With spark
> the trace looked like short pulses of only 3-4 cycles.  This was a low
> power test generating sparks of only 2" - my scope still works.
>
> If the number of secondary rings is reduced to 3-4 when sparks occur then
> why are we considering short dwell times?  When secondary spark occurs the
> energy is disipated and is no longer present in the system.
>
> I am sure that I am missing something here because on Richard Quicks
> video he shows significant performance improvement with improved
> quenching from his vacuum gap.
>
> The signal from the coil was obtained by connecting 6" wire to the scope
> probe and positioning 1m from the coil.
>
> Julian Green.

Julian what you are observing is the effect of loading on the Q of the
resonator.  This is normal.

Again, the idea is to quench the primary spark in the first half cycle of
the primary waveform.  The fact that there are 4 cycles in the secondry
is unimportant.

Richard Hull, TCBOR