[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Power

 ----------
|From: "tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com"-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
|To: Benson Barry; "Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com"-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
|Subject: Re: More Power
|Date: Tuesday, November 26, 1996 1:44PM
|
|<<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>
|> Subject: More Power
|
|From bturner-at-apc-dot-netTue Nov 26 07:58:53 1996
|Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 00:54:01 -0800
|From: open_minded <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>
|To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
|Subject: Re: More Power
|
|Tesla List wrote:
|>
|> >From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzMon Nov 25 22:46:49 1996
|> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:08:31 +1200
|> From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
|> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
|> Subject: More Power
|>
|> Hi everyone,
|>               Well I finally had a stroke of luck today. A colleague
|> has given me (on permanent loan) a transformer with the following
|> spec: I/P 220V, O/P = 4.8kVRMS -at- 820mA. With suitably adjusted break
|> rate and charging choke I should be able to generate any kind of
|> supply for TC expts. This is more like it! notwithstanding my current
|> capacitor misery. The transformer is out of an old commercial uWave
|> oven. It is open and features two leads in and two leads of EHT cable
|> out. It has a stndard E-I core. It may be possible to place a boost
|> choke on the primary side and run it in oil. It's pretty heavy but
|> fairly small and non-potted. Here's to making that new resonator sing
|> a real song sometime next year :)
|>
|> Malcolm
|

|Malcolm -
|
|  Be damn sure that you protect the HV secondary from RF transients! I
|smoked several plate transformers (microwave oven & others) until I
|figured it out. Pigs gotta survive lightning surges. Ovens don't.

|- brent

Malcolm,
I second that.  I cooked (flaming melt down) one 4kv,300mA photocopier
transformer.  On the second transformer I put a static gap but set it too
far apart (the sparks were awsome from the TC before the transformer
arced over!).  I repaired the transformer and set the static gap to
breakdown without anything connected to the transformer.  I also put
a big choke (50 turns of RG58 without braid on 1" cross section by
3" by 4" hypersil "C" core) in series with the transformer.  Fired the coil
for N hours without so much as a sputter out of the transformer.
Barry