[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Fever

Quoting [Stephen Sanders] SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com:

> I worked yesterday in the shop all day and everything I did
> seemed to make little improvements. Fine tuning ,the sparks got
> longer and more intense, even my wife was impressed. This thing
> will cook!

Let me start out by saying: I love the fever!

> The point is when starting I just wanted a small coil to fool
> around, after yesterday its , MUST    HAVE MORE    POWER!!!! .
> I am hooked.Vol 184 nat geo is most impressive of Mr Hulls coil
> and makes mine resemble a spark plug. Im going to start another
> coil, HEH HEH. Most of the coil build programs start out by
> saying pick a frequency that you want and then you build the
> coil around that starting point. How the H do I know what
> frequency I want? What about 500KHZ, sound OK? I already have a
> wound coil of 4 inch PVC wound 28 inches with #22. What would
> be the advantage of 500KHZ over 300KHZ,  ANY?  Stephen Sanders.

Stephen;

Ahhh, you got bit by the bug... The only cure is nothing less
than 100 amps of dedicated 240 volt service to scratch the itch
with!

Chip hit upon the ideal modern measurment system. Gauge your new
system on the _inch per garage space_ system. A four to six inch
diameter coil is what you will be looking at. Go to the Tesla
archive [The ftp-site is nic.funet.fi  alias  ftp.funet.fi and
this site can be connected using anon-ftp. The files are in the
directory /pub/sci/electrical/tesla and it's sub-directories.]
Try the file COILBLD.ZIP, but regardless, your end frequency
should be below 200 kHz on the secondary coil with top loading.
150 kHz or lower (with discharger) should be adequate to abate
the itch for awhile!

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12