[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 50%

At 05:25 AM 10/31/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> > Subject: 50%
>> Subject: Re: 50%
>
>> >From bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-comTue Oct 29 22:57:35 1996
>> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:44:19 -0800
>> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: 50%
>>
>> Richard and all,
>>
>> Well... I disagree. This is one of those areas where the commonly
>> accepted theory may need to be more closely examined. I'm going to open
>> myself up to MAJOR flamitude and claim that we_can_ break the 50% energy
>> transfer limitation! The thought experiment below describes how this is
>> theoretically possible. I also believe its possible in practice as well.
>> I've verified this via PSPICE simulations, and it could be verified at
>> low voltages using a MOSFET "gap". I've also done an estimate on my 10"
>> coil in single-shot mode in a previous post to Robert Stephen which
>> seems to indicate an ouput:input ratio of 56%.
>>
>> Safe coilin' to ya!
>>
>> -- Bert --

  Bert -

1. The commonly accepted  limit of 50% transfer (efficiencies?) is for the
current and power and not for the energy transfer limitation. This is a
common mistake made by many people.

2. Energy cannot be transferred instantaneously so the amount of transfer
time is important and is determined by the coupling. The coupling must be
correct for the 100% transfer of energy.

3. The coupling does not take part in the energy transfer itself but is
important in determining the transfer time. Maximizing K should be to
coordinate the transfer time so 100% of the energy is transfered.

4. Critical coupling may not give the correct time for 100% energy transfer.

5. Quenching the gap at the appropiate time is important so all of the
available energy is transfered. Proper quenching is also important for other
reasons not related to enrgy transfer.

6. To obtain more output (spark length) with maggies compared to classical
coils would not require more efficient energy transfer for the primary to
secondary coils because it is already at 100%. However, it would require
less total loss in the system which appears to be possible. I have never
seen calculations of controlled tests that maggies do produce longer sparls
compared to a properly designed and adjusted classical coil.

Jack C.