[Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help in calculations

Tesla List wrote:

<Snip snap>

> Skip,
>         rather than build a second srg put a second set of contacts on
> your stator. Visualize this, align your rotor and stator contacts. Now
> change your reference plane from the aligned contacts to those closest
> to being 90 degrees from them. Pick a point on your stator half way
> between your 90 degree points and the 90 + 360/n points (forgot how
> many you are using). Put these 2 stator points in parallel with your
> original stator points, your now have twice the bps.
>
>         comments? thoughts? snide remarks?
>
> Also, thank your for your previous post on building a srg, I built one
> this weekend. I used a 1hp 1750 rpm induction motor:( Bad choice, even
> if I did have it laying around. One can dramatically see the slippage
> between its speed and the mains frequency as a 4 second beat period!
>
> Right now, it's working poorly with my pig, I think, because of poor
> makeshift ballasting. I'm getting 2.5" power arcs on it.
>
> After that poor result, I connected up my neon, 15kV -at-60 mA. using
> only 1/2 of the secondary. 24" straight line arcs (measured) on only
> 7.5kV -at- 60mA !!!!!  I think you've got a winner here.
>
>         Regards,
>
>         jim

Jim
I didn't have to build another srg, I had one. Since I calibrate the
contact position when I build the units, it was simple just to set the
second srg next to the first one and parallel up the contacts. This also
allowed me to adjust both firing points independently.
End result of all this is that I could only achieve about 24" discharges
as a maximum after trying numerous combinations of firing points, cap
values and primary turns. As a side note I monitor the voltage across the
neon secondary. Interestingly, as long as I fire the first gap much
before 85 degrees, the voltage on the neon never gets above about 12kv.
this is a 15kv 120ma neon. With a single gap set to fire between 85 and
90 degrees, the neon voltage varies between 15 and about 22kv.
I think this line of endeavor is a dead end. Maybe Richard Quick was
right, maybe 5 or 6 foot discharges are the best achievable with an
1800va neon.

Skip